1/13/10

Pete Carroll's the man and Lane Kiffin sucks

There is so much going on right now. Where do I begin?!

First, I watched the entire Pete Carroll press conference yesterday and was highly entertained. Not to the point of delirium, but I am excited to see what he can do. I thought he was raw and real, personable and presentable. I liked it when he looked at the players in attendance and said, "We're in this together. It's about you guys and me." That's an awesome thing to hear from a head coach, and it's where a lot of them eventually go wrong. Some guys (Jim Mora) try to be players' coaches but they don't even know what that means. It's not about being their friend, it's about helping them maximize their talents. It's about helping them be the absolute best they can be. Because if you've got a coach motivating guys to do their best, to give their all, then everything else falls into place.

Rock on, Pete Carroll. May the 12th Man be with you.

As always, Steve Kelley hates it. But the Go 2 Guy feels differently and actually penned a decent column. I, too, am happy that Carroll is "a Corona guy." I'm telling you, there will be a lot of people around here buying in to what Carroll says. Players included. I saw T.J. Houshmandzadeh on ESPN last night and he was jacked.

Now, as far as Lane Kiffin going to coach the USC Trojans... I friggin' love it. I absolutely, positively, unequivocally could not be more excited about this hire. First, Kiffin sucks. That's just my opinion, but I'm holding on to it dearly. He's a bad person and a so-so coach. It's a great hire for USC because he fits right in. He knows the city, the system and they won't miss a beat on the recruiting trail. Plus, the staff he's piecing together is rather impressive. Pops Kiffin, Ed Oregon-I-mean-Orgeron and Norm Chow are all top-notch, first-class hires. And, maybe more than anything, this gives the rest of the Pac-10 a real reason to hate USC. Before, we only hated USC because they were so damn good. I mean, who wins the conference seven years in a row? But now, we can legitimately hate the Trojans because Kiffin is their coach. And the rivalries he'll build with Rick Neuheisel at UCLA and buddy Steve Sarkisian at UW are going to be awesome. This will certainly be a fun few years. That is, until Kiffin gets himself fired.

As I said about Mora a few days ago, thank God the Huskies didn't hire this guy. Sarkisian is vastly superior to Kiffin in every way. Coaching style, how they use their mind bullets, you name it. I bark for Sark. But I'm hereby dismissin' Kiffin. It's another great day for the Huskies, and we should all take that to heart.

READ THIS: For the best column ever on Lane Kiffin's move to USC, see this piece by Ray Ratto of the San Francisco Gate. Also, lots of Carroll coverage on Seahawks.com, including a photo gallery of Pete's first day on the job.

-- Derek Belt

No comments:

Post a Comment