1/8/10

Jim Mora needed to go


As a fan of the Seattle Seahawks and not individual players and coaches, I fully support the team's decision to fire Jim Mora. This is about winning football games and, ultimately, getting to the Super Bowl. That said, I am not suprised by the ousting of Mora after just one season at the helm.

Personally, I think this was only slightly about "football" ... I agree that 5-11 isn't that bad for a team this awful and injury prone. But it was more about what Mora did off the field -- who he was, what he said, and how he said it. There just wasn’t much to feel good about around here. He continually put his foot in his mouth when speaking to the media, and in my opinion he definitely lost his players late in the season. Maybe through no fault of his own, but I don't really care. No matter what the circumstances, if you lose your players you are not destined to be a successful NFL head coach. I wish Mora well, but I didn't like where the Seahawks were going under his direction.

Thank God the Huskies didn't hire him. Whew!

Already, the list of coaching candidates is intriguing. I like Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden, but those are long shots. Word has it that the Seahawks have contacted the Minnesota Vikings about defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier. And, yes, it is being rumored that USC coach Pete Carroll is the guy. This is going to be an interesting decision for the Seahawks, and with the GM and team president spots still open it's an even more bizarre situation. Let's hope they get this one right. Because the bottom line is, they HAVE TO get it right.

-- Derek Belt

No comments:

Post a Comment